In Reception, Miss Beverley’s group have been looking at the sounds ‘ck’, ‘e’, ‘u’ and ‘r’. We have been practising our letter formation, reading CVC (consonant, vowel, consonant) words and even writing them! We have also been playing tricky word games seeing who is able to find the word first which we really enjoy. Today we looked at the sound ‘u’ and some of us wrote words with it in like sum and mud. Mrs Green’s group have been learning the ‘igh’ sound. Faheema knew there were 3 letters in the ‘igh’ sound and Eden pointed to the word night that has the igh sound in. Well done girls!
In year 2 Mrs Stanger’s group have been learning the sound ‘r’. Mrs Bond’s group have been practising tricky words which can’t be sounded out, thinking of interesting ways to try and remember how they are spelt.
There has been lots of fantastic work going on and the children are very proud of what they have achieved.
Ideas for helping a home
- Listen to the jolly phonics song which can be found online.
- Listen to the tricky words song which can be found online.
- Use different materials such as magnetic letters or chalk to practise making words.
- Play ‘I Spy’ games. Can you find words beginning with…? Can you find a picture of a…? How many… can you see? Can you see anything beginning with…?
- Play hangman taking it in turn to pick words using the letter sounds rather than letter names.
- Make collections of objects that contain the same letter sounds at either the beginning, middle or end.